Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Tanu and me


So these days I'm totally vella and doing crazy things like watching two movies every week. (For someone who doesn't go out to watch movies for months, this is a little too much) And then I missed a Wawrinka - Federer face-off for this one. For people who know me well, this is blasphemy! But this was a pre-planned outing and I could not cancel it. And since I enjoyed the movie I've decided not to cry over the missed match. Also, I thought I'd give my 2 Rs opinion about it and try writing something which has more than 140 characters. Just to make me feel like an intellectual. I wouldn't call this a review because I personally do not like reading reviews. Also everyone I know has already reviewed the movie where Tanu has been called a bitch. A woman with no heart. A woman who does not deserve Manu's love. And so on.. Tanu bashing has happened and how!

Not that I blame people for this. Specially when you compare her to the heartwarming Datto. The girl who loves Manu. The one who wants all or nothing. The lookalike who allows her 'souten' (this word gives a better effect than any angrezi word I know of) to stay around Manu and not care a damn. As for Manu, he is like a forever confused man. A man who loves Tanu, and then is sure that he hates her, but is still confused about his feelings for Datto.

Keeping Datto out of the equation and coming back to Tanu, let me say that I understand her perfectly. A boring husband. A doctor on top of that (do I see the doctors giving me dirty looks?) And a stale life of nothingness. Tanu, a vivacious woman, who can't do without drama in her life has to go through a drab boring existence. Someone who needs excitement and lust and laughter all around her has to wait for small little fun things to happen somewhere in the periphery of her life. Do you think it is easy for someone like her to live with Manu whose only idea of excitement is to go to a supermarket that is offering discounts? No, I don't think so.

As for Tanu going to Kanpur and meeting up with old flames.. All that she wants is to get a little high out of the big lows of her life. Perhaps she is looking for herself in all these silly antics. Searching for something she has lost after being cooped up with Manu. Perhaps she is trying to decipher her emotions. Trying to search for her love in the love of others.

And then there is the mattter of how Tanu behaves with Datto when they first meet. How she calls her 'gavar' and a few other uncivilized names. But then isn't this all about jealousy and possessiveness rather than trying to hurt Datto? All she is trying to do is get Sharmaji back. The pain, the hurt, the need to keep him in her life. These are the things that define Tanu's tears and behavior.

So who gave up on whom then? Tanu on Manu, or the other way around? Who started the divorce proceedings? Who decided to remarry? Who would have taken the last 'phera' if Datto hadn't stopped the ritual? Bingo! And then we blame the woman.

Now if you are wondering what the 'me' in the topic means... all I want to say is, given a similar situation, I would definitely be like Tanu. A little stupid. A little frustrated. A lot in love. And a lot of expectations out of the man who is the center of her being. So be it if you hate her. So be it if you think she is wrong. I will be just like her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard to disagree with your analysis of Tanu. As I said somewhere else, I only blame the man for being confused and boring.

Pallavi Singh said...

agree on all counts......glad to find a person who is on the same page....I loved Tanu and Datto...methinks, this sequel was all about the love story of Tanu and Datto, and hence contrasting personalities..Manu was just to move the story forward..why is it necessary to thumb down Tanu so that one can appreciate Datto.

Rahul Lele said...

Everyone needs a bit of spice in food... Life will be boring if we keep on eating food without spices.... It goes same in our lives as well... I don't find Tanu wrong anywhere... But at same point of time keeping Manu in hospital just cause he don't have interest in anything is not also correct....